Here are some useful travel tips for you about Phou Si Hill in Luang Prabang.
1. Entrance fee: 20,000 kip (= $ 2.5 = 2.3 euro) to go up the hill.
2. How to get to the Hill: There are two entrances you can use. One is opposite the Royal Place Museum on Th Sisavangvong (the main road of Luang Prabang), and the other is on Kingkitsarath Road – the stairs to the Phou Si Hill are somewhere between Lao Lao garden and Wat Siphoutthabath.
3. Opening hours: 8 am – 5 pm, but I went up to the hill after 5 pm to see the sunset.
4. Monk Chat: It’s not an official program but I met a bunch of young monks who are interested in talking with tourists on the way up to the Hill. I found it interesting. To have a monk chat, you should take the stairs on Kingkitsarath Road.
5. Do I recommend watching the sunrise or the sunset on the top of the hill?
My answer is that I’m not sure……it’s all up to you. I didn’t wake up early, so I have nothing to say about the sunrise. I can’t recommend watching the sunset since its so crowded. (It wasn’t that great to be on the top with so many people in a tiny space on the top of Phou Si Hill. Maybe in a low season, it will be different.) Personally, I much preferred watching the sunset by the Mekong.
How’s how-to guide for Phou Si Hill? If you have any questions, please leave a comment.
To go back to 5 things to do in Luang Prabang on a budget, please click here.